There is one ingredient, that we are unaware of, which is freely available in all our homes. This Mysterious ingredient will satisfy most of our skin and hair problems. problems in a jiffy. This ingredient is ‘Turmeric’.
There are several hundred articles written on the magical properties of this root. This root is known to solve various issues like aging, skin problems, obesity etc. Let’s get to know more about this spice.
What Is Turmeric?
Turmeric belongs to the ginger family. For several years it has been used as a spice in Asia and the Middle East. Turmeric is found in both powder form as well as in the form of chunks.
It is yellow in color. Turmeric is found in the Southern Asia. It is mostly used as a coloring agent in most of the dishes made in its surrounding regions.
Benefits Of Turmeric
There are several documented pieces of evidence proving the benefits of turmeric. Some of the many benefits and how to use methods are listed category wise here for you.
1: Skin Care
Turmeric has an excellent effect on our skin. It is an excellent home remedy for acne, dry skin, dark circles, wrinkles etc. it has a soothing effect on the skin due to the presence of ‘curcumin’ in it. Curcumin is a phytonutrient. It has anti-inflammatory properties. These properties can be compared with many drugs present in the market today. However, since turmeric is non-toxic, it is more a preferable alternative as compared to the available drugs.
How To Use?
- Face Mask: a turmeric face mask is an excellent exfoliating method. The best part about it is that the face mask can be easily made at home with various alternatives for the ingredients. One such method to prepare the mask is-
- Take half spoon of turmeric powder and sandalwood powder each
- Mix the 2 by adding some 2 teaspoons of milk/water
- Add half teaspoon honey (optional)
- Make sure the consistency of the mixture is not too thin or it may drip.
- Apply this mask on the skin evenly
- Let it dry for about 10-15 minutes
- Wash with warm water
- Dab your skin dry
Be careful not to stain your clothes with turmeric.
2: Get Rid Of Facial Hair Naturally. No Surgery. No Lasers.
We often are in a fix because of the extra facial hair growth. Use this magic mixture to get rid of your facial hair permanently in a natural way.
- Take 1/2 tablespoon turmeric and 1 tablespoon of gram powder
- Mix the two by adding water, maintaining moderate consistency
- Apply this paste on the skin
- Keep until dried
- Use a cloth dipped in warm water to wipe this mixture off the skin
- Do not be harsh while taking the mixture off
Repeating this procedure twice a week for at least 4 weeks will give you visibly less facial hair growth.
Turmeric, when used with Apple Cider Vinegar, shows tremendous positive effects on the signs of aging like wrinkles, pigmentation etc.
- Take ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and Apple Cider Vinegar each
- Mix the above with 1 tablespoon honey and ½ teaspoon of milk or yogurt.
- Apply this mask avoiding your eye area
- Let it sit for 15-20 minutes
- Wash off with warm water
Repeat the above procedure at least twice a week for best results.
4: Other General Benefits of Turmeric
- Serious Illness: Turmeric can be effectively used for treating serious illnesses like hemorrhage, excessive bleeding, blood clotting etc.
- Anti-Depression: Turmeric can also be used to reduce the depression levels in individuals.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Most of the diseases like chronic pain, high cholesterol levels, cancer etc are caused due to inflammation. Turmeric beats inflammation in the affected areas of the body thus reversing the disease.
- Reversal of Cancer: Studies have proven that turmeric has got anti-cancer properties. It helps our body to keep a check on the cancer cells and produce more normal healthy cells.
- Diabetes Reversal: One of the best, natural and easily available product that can help you reverse your diabetes without any side effects is turmeric.
- Cholesterol Treatment: One of the best methods of keeping the cholesterol levels of the body at the normal level is adding a tinge of turmeric to your diet. This will not only help you with regulating the cholesterol levels of your body but will relieve you from any gastro inflammation as well.
- Natural Painkiller: One of the widely-known properties of turmeric is that of healing and subsiding the pain. It acts as a painkiller and helps the body manage its pain affairs.
- If one is on prescribed drugs, including a tinge of turmeric alongside the drugs is a good idea to beat the side effects of the drugs on your body.
Any Possible Side Effects?
Being a natural product, it doesn’t have side effects unless abused. Also, people who have an allergy to turmeric experience mild, itchy rashes. In some cases, overdose of turmeric leads to minor side effects like-
- Increased heart rate
- Increased risk of bleeding
- Uterine contractions
- Low blood pressure
- Enhances menstrual flow
- Reduce blood sugar to an extreme low
- Iron deficiency
Planning to use turmeric? Which benefits did you like the most? Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments down below.