This is the year 2018 and the environmental working group has released this year’s dirty dozen list. This list serves as a solid reminder that a lot of work still has to be done in regards to cleaning up the food system. This year the reports show that almost 70 % of the nation – organic samples have been tested positive for at least one kind of pesticide. The worst offender was a strawberry sample that showed close to 22 different pesticides residues.
If you think that eating a garden variety of spinach is a nice way to boost your health as spinach contains calcium and vitamins think again. Close to 40% Non-organic samples of spinach showed traces DDT a neurotoxic substance. This pesticide is illegals in the USA.
This article shows to the list of the top 15 hardest hit vegetables that are contaminated by harmful chemicals. It is recommended to go organic when buying vegetables. But if you are on a budget this list will prove helpful in avoiding the worst offenders.
Dirty Dozen List 2018
- The US Department of Agriculture tests have results that show 230 pesticides and similar products used in growing thousands of tested samples.
- The environmental working group tested the USDA data of pesticide contamination and found that over 70% of non- organic products tested positive for the residue.
- It was seen that over 98% of samples of strawberries, spinach, peaches cherries, apples and nectarines tested positive for contamination
Dirty Dozen List
- Sweet Bell Peppers
Clean List 2018
- It was observed that less than 1% of avocados and sweet corn samples showed any detectable residue of pesticides.
- Less than one-fifth of the samples of papaya, pineapples, asparagus, onions and cabbages and no other pesticide residues.
- The following clean list contains fruit that has not been tested positive for more than 4 pesticides.
Some papayas and sweet corns are GMO plants. And in our opinion is best to be avoided and go for organic.
Clean 15 List
- Sweet Corn
- Frozen Sweet Peas
- The EWG and it’s annual dirty dozen report and the clean 15 list, highlight the fruits and vegetables most and least likely to contain pesticides residue.
- Strawberries, Spinach and Pears are all included in the worst offenders list. Their samples have been found to contain the most amount of pesticides residue.
- We Highly recommend that you do not avoid eating fruits and vegetables. This list is just an indication of the rising toxicity of chemical farming. This list is a gentle reminder to look into the foods to consumes on a daily basis.
- Pesticides have been observed to cause a multitude of health problems including but not limited to cancer, ADHD, autism and Parkinson’s and other issues. Therefore it is suggested that you look for organic alternatives wherever it is available to reduce and manage your risk.